Hi, Dori

Galaxy supports IE 10+ so this is definitely a bug. I'm checking for bugs
in the history panel now, but in the meantime:
 - can you open the javascript console in your IE and see if any errors are
displayed when doing the two tasks you mention?
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/bg182326%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
 - What version of Galaxy does your lab use currently? (You can view the
version by using the 'hg summary' command from the directory from which
Galaxy is run)

As an aside, IE has traditionally veered away from web standards and made
it difficult to program compatible sites. Recent versions of IE have become
much more standards compliant allowing us to support them well enough.

Please don't hesitate to report IE (10+) bugs when using Galaxy.

Thanks for the report and I'll update with my findings soon,
Carl