Hey Peter,

When you are deleting and reinstalling the tool - can you confirm for
me that you are definitely deleting the tool and not just deactivating
it?

I don't know where to hack around from there - I think repositories
are tracked in the database (tool_shed_repository) table, in
shed_tool_conf.xml, integrated_tool_panel.xml, shed_tools directory,
tool_dependencies directory. It would be interesting to know which of
these still have references to the tool after you delete it.

I am also interested in the underlying bug - are you running multiple
Galaxy processes? Can you send me the tool that produced this error?

-John