As feedback to the list ....

I have solved my problem below and a number of other issues I have had since
then with the "Toolfactory" available now from the Main Tool Shed (shameless
plug) that was created Ross Lazarus et al.

This tool allowed me to create a tool that was exactly what I wanted (a small
scriptlet for R, perl, python, or bash)
The process was straight forward, and Ross was also very helpful. Thanks also
to John Chilton who helped to add an output option that I needed.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23024011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzzc9zHZJjE

https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/DevNewsBriefs/2012_09_20#Galaxy_Tool_Factory

Please be sure and heed the warning about NOT installing it on production
Galaxy servers though.

Regards,

Alistair

(p.s. I have no affiliation with the creators of the Toolfactory, but I did
find it useful, YMMV)