Do any of you see the need to establish a way for tools to use a global
(current site) API url/key combination?  From a security perspective I'm
assuming this is basically ok since tools run under the galaxy user anyways
(and can directly read and write files to their heart's content).  I understand
that a particular user's API key could help limit what they have access to.  My
tool however wants to do some prepatory form display and post-job work on
behalf of the Galaxy system in addition to working with user-centric data; I
presume others have similar use-case needs.

I think it would amount to having a standard GALAXY_TOOL_API_URL and
GALAXY_TOOL_API_KEY managed in universe_wsgi.ini (left blank if not desired by
sys admin).  The key would be generated by a galaxy admin using a real admin
user id.  These would be available as python or shell environment variables
when it came time to execute a tool's <command interpreter="python"> etc. work.

The wee other detail is that I'm using <code file="versioned_data_form.py" />
in my tool xml because there is API information I have to retrieve to set up
the form with.  So the url and key need to be accessible in that execution
environment too?!!

Am I missing the boat; alternately has this already been talked about?!

Thanks for advice ...

Damion

Hsiao lab, BC Public Health Microbiology & Reference Laboratory, BC Centre for
Disease Control
655 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 4R4 Canada