On 13.10.2014 14:23, Dannon Baker wrote:
On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 8:14 AM, John Chilton
<jmchil...@gmail.com
<mailto:jmchil...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    My understanding is that it was briefly optional (and maybe just
    through the API) but that was a bug. I think Dannon made that fix a
    few months ago. Sorry for the confusion.

This is correct, public usernames are required and there was a bug that
was incorrectly validating empty ones.

Thanks for clarifying. I'll fix the affected accounts.

Best,
Wolfgang