These are all good ideas but I don't think any of the constituent
parts are currently possible (symbolic linking outside of libraries,
tools that create collections, data sources that create collections,
starting workflows with data source tools - there is some bug that
prevents GenomeSpace from working for instance). If you are developing
something from the ground up - you may want to just drive this all
externally with the API - you create create library datasets that are
linked, move them into a history and create a collection, send that
collection into a workflow - this is all doable but would mean
building an external UI for running workflows :(.

Sorry I don't have better news. Would love pull requests to address
some of these issues - but it is a lot of work.

-John