The release is definitely official - many sites have upgraded and
usegalaxy.org has been running it since September - I'm not sure if
there will release notes or not for the October release. We have not
abandoned release notes - the next release will have release notes.

I think there may be one database migration - so you may have to run
migrate_db.sh update as always -  but there were no tool migrations so
this should be a relatively straight-forward update.

Galaxy's default configuration file structure has changed dramatically
- and this has affected some people that automate Galaxy deployments
and assume sample files are in particular locations - but for
long-running Galaxy instances all the files should already exist and
Galaxy provides backward compatibility that attempts to look for them
in the older locations - so no changes should be necessary. More
information can be found here
https://biostar.usegalaxy.org/p/9380/#9381.

-John