On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 9:13 AM, Fernandez Edgar <
edgar.fernan...@umontreal.ca> wrote:

>  Hello Nate,
>

> Thank you for this explanation, this clears up a lot and I have a better
> understanding of how galaxy works.
>
> I still have some points that I would like more clarifications:
>

> 1.       What are the purpose of the 4 variables defined under my
> [server:handler0] section in the file config/galaxy.ini?

At a minimum, use = egg:Paste#http is required as this tells PasteScript,
which is used to start the Galaxy server, what web server module will be
used. The other variables are optional to some degree but you must set
unique/unused ports for each [server:].

 2.       What does the load (="galaxy.jobs.runners.pbs:PBSJobRunner")
> under the plugin tag defines in the file config/job_conf.xml?

This instructs Galaxy to load a specific module and class as a job running
plugin. In this case it is the PBSJobRunner:

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/src/tip/lib/galaxy/jobs/runners/pbs.py

>  3.       Finally, when I start galaxy, I see my two process:
>
> a.       galaxy   11104     1 84 08:43 ?        00:00:05 python
> ./scripts/paster.py serve config/galaxy.ini --server-name=main
> --pid-file=main.pid --log-file=main.log --daemon
>
> b.      galaxy   11112     1 83 08:43 ?        00:00:05 python
> ./scripts/paster.py serve config/galaxy.ini --server-name=handler0
> --pid-file=handler0.pid --log-file=handler0.log –daemon
>
> However, the second one fails and here is the error message I’ve been
> getting:
>
> galaxy.jobs.manager DEBUG 2014-12-05 08:43:19,059 Starting job handler
>
> galaxy.jobs INFO 2014-12-05 08:43:19,059 Handler 'handler0' will load all
> configured runner plugins
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
>   File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/webapps/galaxy/buildapp.py",
> line 44, in app_factory
>
>     app = UniverseApplication( global_conf = global_conf, **kwargs )
>
>   File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/app.py", line 136, in __init__
>
>     self.job_manager = manager.JobManager( self )
>
>   File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/jobs/manager.py", line 23, in
> __init__
>
>     self.job_handler = handler.JobHandler( app )
>
>   File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/jobs/handler.py", line 32, in
> __init__
>
>     self.dispatcher = DefaultJobDispatcher( app )
>
>   File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/jobs/handler.py", line 715, in
> __init__
>
>     self.job_runners = self.app.job_config.get_job_runner_plugins(
> self.app.config.server_name )
>
>   File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/jobs/__init__.py", line 586,
> in get_job_runner_plugins
>
>     module = __import__( module_name )
>
>   File "/home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/lib/galaxy/jobs/runners/pbs.py", line 32,
> in <module>
>
>     raise Exception( egg_message % str( e ) )
>
> Exception:
>

> The 'pbs' runner depends on 'pbs_python' which is not installed or not
>
> configured properly.  Galaxy's "scramble" system should make this
> installation
>
> simple, please follow the instructions found at:
>

>     http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Performance/Cluster
>

> Additional errors may follow:
>
> /home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/eggs/pbs_python-4.3.5-py2.6-linux-x86_64-ucs4.egg/_pbs.so:
> undefined symbol: log_record
>

> Removing PID file handler0.pid

Please try the following:

In /home/galaxy/galaxy-dist/eggs.ini, change the version of pbs_python to
4.4.0. Then, re-scramble pbs_python:

% cd /home/galaxy/galaxy-dist
% rm -rf ./eggs/pbs_python-4.3.5-py2.6-linux-x86_64-ucs4.egg
% LIBTORQUE_DIR=/usr/local/torque/lib python ./scripts/scramble.py -e
pbs_python

If pbs_python 4.4.0 does not work, you'll need to use the DRMAA interface
to Torque instead.

--nate

 Any suggestions is more than welcome since I have a lot of pressure to