I've updated my code, which now generates the .extra_files directory:
https://github.com/brianjohnhaas/galaxy_composite_datatype_test

I'm now trying to get the

composite_type = 'auto_primary_file*' *to work, but all I'm getting is an
empty file.   My module code simply includes:

 class CompositeDataTypeTest( Text ):
>     file_ext = 'cdt'
>     composite_type = 'auto_primary_file'
>

>     def generate_primary_file( self, dataset = None ):
>         log.debug("\n\n######## generate_primary_file() for Test data

and from what I can tell, the generate_primary_file() isn't being called,
as I'm not detecting the log entry in the console.

any ideas?

thanks in advance!

~brian