Hello all,

 We are planning a remote hackathon for Galaxy tool developers to hack
on dataset collections. Dataset collections enable MapReduce style
workflows in Galaxy and have come a long way over the last year+.
Several groups are using dataset collections and newer tools to
express workflows of various degrees of complexity that were not
possible in Galaxy before.

 The remote nature of this should give people who don't have the
opportunity to come to GCC hackathons (which have always been
productive and a lot of fun) a chance to participate in a Galaxy
hackathon. Hopefully having a well defined topic will allow us to
accomplish a lot and let people who don't have particular tasks in
mind find something to work on very quickly.

 We have been collecting ideas to work on here -
https://github.com/galaxyproject/tools-iuc/issues/239, but we expect
to attract the most participation by simply getting tool developers
interested in getting help adding collection support to their existing
tools and workflows to show up and participate.

 If you are interested in participating in the hackathon but not
interested in actual tool development - we will assemble a list of
smaller, manageable Python and JavaScript tasks to work on and
certainly documentation is a chronically lacking for collections so we
could use help there and no actual coding would be required.

 This is the first remote hackathon we have organized and we encourage
ideas or advice about how to organize it please let us know. We are
currently thinking a two day event in which a core group of us would
be available on IRC all day and we would have 4 google hangouts across
those days to organize, answer questions, and report progress. We are
also currently thinking September 17th and 18th.

Thanks,
Galaxy IUC