Jack,
Yes I want to view internal to Galaxy's middle pane like the eyeball does.

Do data both visualization and display applications use the icon at the bottom
left of the History?

So with display applications one does not need an ID tag?

Thanks
Bob

----- Original Message -----From: John Chilton <jmchil...@gmail.com>To:
rbrown1422@comcast.netCc: galaxy-dev <galaxy-dev@lists.galaxyproject.org>Sent:
Thu, 10 Dec 2015 22:31:32 -0000 (UTC)Subject: Re: [galaxy-dev] AssertionError:
ID tag is required for a Display Application

Despite sounding very similar, visualizations and display applicationsare
different things - display applications for the most part send orexpose Galaxy
data to outside sources, visualizations run on theGalaxy server and the client
side.

It seems like you are trying to configure a visualization as a
displayapplication. I would figure out which you need and base your
exampleplugin on an existing type of that.

More information @

https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Tools/External%20Display%20Applications%20Tutorialhttps://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Learn/Visualization

-John

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 9:32 PM, <rbrown1...@comcast.net> wrote:> Dear Galaxy
Team,> I am trying to create my own visualization for a unique datatype but I>
cannot get past this error in the load. Where is the ID tag assigned for my>
visualization?> Thanks> Bob>> galaxy.datatypes.registry ERROR 2015-12-10
15:10:13,440 Error loading> display application>
(/home/HM_galaxy/config/plugins/visualizations/heatmap/config/heatmap.xml):> ID
tag is required for a Display Application> Traceback (most recent call last):>
File "/home/HM_galaxy/lib/galaxy/datatypes/registry.py", line 563, in>
load_display_applications> display_app = DisplayApplication.from_file(
config_path, app )> File>
"/home/rbrown/HM_galaxy/lib/galaxy/datatypes/display_applications/application.py",>
 line 253, in from_file> return cls.from_elem( parse_xml( filename ).getroot(),
app,> filename=filename )> File>
"/home/rbrown/HM_galaxy/lib/galaxy/datatypes/display_applications/application.py",>
 line 257, in from_elem> att_dict = cls._get_attributes_from_elem( elem )>
File>
"/home/rbrown/HM_galaxy/lib/galaxy/datatypes/display_applications/application.py",>
 line 265, in _get_attributes_from_elem> assert display_id, &ldquo;ID tag is
required for a Display Application&rdquo;> AssertionError: ID tag is required
for a Display Application>> The /visualizations/heatmap/config/heatmap.xml file
it is complaining> about is below and I have a template under /templates>>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>> <!DOCTYPE visualization SYSTEM
"../../visualization.dtd">> <visualization name="heatmap">> <data_sources>>
<data_source>> <model_class>HistoryDatasetAssociation</model_class>> <test
type="isinstance" test_attr="datatype"> result_type="datatype">text.chm</test>>
<to_param param_attr="id">dataset_id</to_param>> </data_source>>
</data_sources>> <params>> <param type="dataset" var_name_in_template="hda">
required="true">dataset_id</param>> </params>>
<template>heatmap.mako</template>> </visualization>>>>