Indeed this combination works perfectly now:

<valid initial="string.ascii_letters + string.punctuation + string.whitespace +
string.digits" />

Thanks!

From:  Eric Rasche <e...@tamu.edu>
Date:  Thursday 10 March 2016 at 17:16
To:  Jasper Koehorst <jasperkoeho...@gmail.com>, <galaxy-...@lists.bx.psu.edu>
Subject:  Re: [galaxy-dev] backslash in string for galaxy tool

 Hi Jasper,

 You'll find that sanitizers are what you want.
https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Tools/ToolConfigSyntax?highlight=%28sanitizer%29#A.3Csanitizer.3E_tag_set

 Here's an example of a sanitizer permitting the pound character that I use:

<param name="feature_color" type="color" label="Default feature color"
value="#ff00ff">
  <sanitizer>
    <valid initial="string.letters,string.digits">
      <add value="#" />
    </valid>
  </sanitizer>
</param>