Hello Ray

One of my colleagues encountered a similar-sounding error on our local test instance, where an unsorted BAM file seemed to crash the Galaxy handler processes and prevented them from restarting.

In our case the default samtools version in the Galaxy environment was 0.1.18; we found that updating this to samtools 1.2 fixed the crash problem.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes

Peter