Hello Peter and everyone,

Just wanted to update all of you that replacing samtools with 1.2
solved the problem.  As you suggested, we didn't replace the
system-installed one at /usr/bin (though I suppose we could have) but
modified the environment variable.

I don't know the details of the recovery since I look after Galaxy and
not the overall system (i.e., I'm not the root user) but it sounds
like the administrators didn't need to perform any job deletions
and/or Galaxy database editing.  Once samtools was replaced, the
system managed to restart correctly.

Honestly, we never would have guessed that using an old version of
samtools would cause Galaxy to crash.  Even with the log files
alluding to it, we were initially in disbelief.

And thanks to Christian for pointing out the main cause of the problem
in the source code.  We had thought (hoped?) that Galaxy was a
self-contained system.  So, this experience helped us better
understand how Galaxy works.

Thank you all for your prompt help!

Ray