Hello Malcolm,

encoded_id is a database row id that has been ran through this method (
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/blob/dev/lib/galaxy/web/security/__init__.py#L46)
using the 'secret' from galaxy.ini config.

You should be able to do something like this in the mako:

${trans.security.encode_id( hda.id )}

thank you for using Galaxy

Martin