The good news is that I found out why this sounds familiar.  The bad news
is that I committed a fix for this way back in 14.08, here:
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/commit/5769ea88fa90f3f7c22505cd06aa6f83f940a1e,
which is still not working for you (though it does work for my basic
external auth configuration even back on 15.10).

The only thing that comes to mind is that somehow your remote_user_email
isn't matching up with the admin_users list that's generated here.  Are you
using remote_user_maildomain (this actually does not work correctly for me
in 15.10, so I was unable to test that configuration, though I could see
why it might prevent admin_user from matching)?  Any chance you want to add
a debugging statement or two there and look in the logs to see why that URL
isn't being whitelisted for your user?