Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your answer.

So if I understand properly, you have 2 instances, the production one as
the master branch of a git repo and the staging one as another branch in
this same repo.

This makes sense to me at first but then I don't really understand how
it works when you have to update. What I guess you do would be the
following:
1) git pull the new galaxy release to a new branch (using the .gitignore
of the galaxy repo)
2) check the differences between the new release and your current
production instance (on the '.sample' files in the directory config and
then apply them to the 'real' files)
3) test it on your staging instance
4) when you are satisfied, you git merge the new branch to the master
one (with the 'local' .gitignore file that mainly ignore the doesn't
ignore the 'real' config files)

At step 4, the conflicts raised by the git merge are mainly due to the
specific configurations differentiating your staging and production
instances (e.g. the database config in the universe file). You solve it
not merging the specific info from staging to production instance (e.g.
database config).

Assuming that what I described is correct (and I think it's not !), I
don't understand how the staging instance "survives". Because the git
merge would merge it into the production one.

Cheers,
Mathieu