Hi Ido,

every IE or the underlying Docker container can be different and this
has implications about security.

Assuming that you every user are root inside Docker, and you can break
out of Docker, this is the attack surface.

To make it more clear, the IEs are as dangerous as Docker is, or the
Docker container. We are running IE's on a separate Node, inside of a
VM. So all containers are started in these VMs. If anyone can break out
of his/her IE, he is still in the VM and can not do much.

An other concern might be huge computational load, or huge files that
are created and spamming your network, harddiscs. IEs are currently not
scheduled through the Galaxy job scheduler, so they can consume what
ever resources they need. This can be changed by configuring the Docker
daemon accordingly. The Galaxy team has plans to schedule IEs and make
them even workflow aware afaik. Time will tell, contributions welcome! :)

Hope this helps,
Bjoern