Dear list,

found a solution (aka dirty hack), if anybody is interested:

The problem is that our cluster uses environment modules (http://modules.sourceforge.net/) to provide software (basically by setting and unsetting PATHs...). Because python needs bz2 support for galaxy I needed to load bzip2 as module since the dynamic library was not available otherwise. This module also provides a bunzip2 binary which led to a clash when the LD_LIBRARY_PATH was unset during conda installation (the module's bunzip2 still wanted to have the dynamic library and the systems bunzip2 was later in the PATH).

Solution:

I created a copy of the module which appends the needed paths to the various environment variables (instead of prepending). Then the systems bunzip2 used and the shared object is still available.

Cheers,
Matthias