Thanks Victor.  This is fixed in changeset 4870:65dc28ab157b.  This is not on
the main galaxy server yet, but when we update you'll see workflow steps
preserve an order based on the distance from the top left corner of the
workflow editor upon saving.  This change will not affect previously saved
workflows, but if they are opened and re-saved, the new step order will reflect
the position of the inputs.

-Dannon