Hi David,

This is a really interesting workflow. My comments:

(1) I encourage you to start a discussion about this idea on seqanswers.com;
you'll reach more people and may have a better discussion there. Ideally,
you'll get a Tophat developer to chime in on what I perceive to be the main
issue, which is:

> This may seem similar to setting tophat to ignore non-unique reads. However,
> it is not. This approach gives you 10-15% more reads. I think it is because
> if tophat finds (for example) that the forward read maps to one site but the
> reverse read maps to two sites it throws away the whole read.

Remember that Tophat uses Bowtie to map reads, so it would make sense to look
carefully at the Bowtie documentation to see how it handles paired-end reads. I
can't find anything that directly addresses your issue. The other thing to
consider is how Tophat maps reads -- it breaks them up in order to find splice
junctions -- and so I'm not sure that Tophat/Bowtie is really mapping paired
reads; it may be doing some hybrid single/paired-end mapping. Also, at one
time, you could specify Bowtie parameters when running Tophat, but I don't see
that option anymore.

(2) It would be interesting to know whether you get qualitatively different
results via Cufflinks (or another transcriptome analysis software package)
using your method vs. just using Tophat w/ and w/o ignoring non-unique reads. A
skeptical view of your workflow would note that (a) multi-mapping reads may be
legitimate and should not be filtered out and (b) Cufflinks/compare/diff
assembly and quantitation may smooth out stray reads enough so that your method
isn't necessary.

Thanks for the interesting post,
J.