Hi John,

Currently, these come from the UCSC Genome Browser's download area.
http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/downloads.html

AXT files usually come from the primary data source. UCSC provides tools to create NIB, 2bit, etc. files from fasta (found under "Source" section, same link as above). If you have other genomes not in their primarily vertebrate dataset that you want to use with tools that require these formats, the tools would allow you to create your own.

The Galaxy team, too, has been discussing creating files like this for a wider range of genomes, but no specific plans are in place yet.

Please let us know if we can help more,