From: James Robinson [mailto:jrobi...@broadinstitute.org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 11:57 AM
To: John Wu
Cc: galaxy-user@lists.bx.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [galaxy-user] BedGraph format

Hi,

I think you need to include a track line and specify "bedgraph", like this

  track type=bedGraph

Is that maybe the problem?  It sounds like UCSC is treating your file as a
standard "bed", which it will do without the track line.

Jim

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:32 PM, John Wu <joh...@ibms.sinica.edu.tw> wrote:

> Hi Jen,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> However, when I followed your instructions, I found that the forth column
in my dataset, which is the expression level (or base depth covered by short
read sequences), would be treated as names instead of values. Therefore I
cannot see histogram on UCSC genome browser..

> Could you help me more about the question? Thanks a lot!
>
> Please see the following link to view my dataset.
>
> http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/u/johnwu/h/human-bodymap2
>

> John Wu

display at UCSC link is not showing up for the dataset:

> 1. File is tab delimited (not space or other) and four columns, such as
(from the UCSC web site's example:
> http://genome.ucsc.edu/goldenPath/help/bedgraph.html):
>
> chr19   59302000        59302300        -1.0
> chr19   59302300        59302600        -0.75
> chr19   59302600        59302900        -0.50
> chr19   59302900        59303200        -0.25
> chr19   59303200        59303500        0.0
> chr19   59303500        59303800        0.25
>
> 2. Use "Edit Attributes" to assign a database (click on pencil icon in
dataset). Confirm that this database is at UCSC by matching the database
short name "dbkey" with that used in Galaxy. If the database is not at UCSC,
then Visualization within Galaxy is still an option (Trackster).
> You can pull in other tracks from UCSC or other sources to view all of the
data together for custom genomes.

> 3. Use "Edit Attributes" to also assign the file format as "bedgraph".
> The metadata will be automatically detected. The fourth column is not
explicitly labeled as being a data value for display, but that does not
impact display. Not all values for all datatypes are labeled the same as
external sites do, yet many display correctly based on the file format type
assigned.

> 4. Optional: create a track line using "Graph/Display Data -> Build custom
track for UCSC genome browser". This is not necessary, but does allow for
some user-defined labels. For full control over the track and (again,
optional) browser lines used by UCSC, create this information in a text file
on your computer, save, load into Galaxy, and merge with the bedgraph data
using "Text Manipulation -> Concatenate datasets tail-to-head".

> If this does not help and you are still having issues on the public Galaxy
server at http://usegalaxy.org, please send a shared history link and I can
take a look and provide feedback ("Options -> Share or Publish, generate
link, and email back directly to me). But, hopefully the above helps to
resolve anything that was unclear. I just tested a bedgraph a few minutes
ago, to confirm that there were no issue between Galaxy & UCSC for a sample
bedgraph dataset, and it worked fine.