Update - I think I can see the problem, and I think it's a bug in the
image on Amazon. I might have misunderstood, but thought I would point
this out as a possible cause, assuming others experience the same
issue I do.

Looking at the repository at
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/cloudman/src/65f0ff532a29/templates/index.mako
I can see <input disabled='true' style="margin-left:20px" type="text"
name="g_pss" class="LV_field" id="g_pss" value="" size="3">GB<span
id="g_pss_vtag">...

It looks like the input is being set to disabled in all cases instead
of just when (as the comments suggest) the underlying machine image
doesn't support it?

It does look like this is a recent change - I think the culprit is
commit
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/cloudman/changeset/65f0ff532a29#chg-templates/index.mako

The thing I don't understand though is that I thought the image I was
launching was older than this change. I launched
861460482541/galaxy-cloudman-2011-03-22 , and another older image
seems to have the same problem . Do the instances draw on a
configuration script which is newer than the image? Or maybe the cause
is not what I've suggested!

Any suggestions for quick workarounds to get an instance running
successfully would also very much appreciated as I was planning to use
a CloudMan instance to demo both Galaxy and CloudMan tomorrow to some
people interested in using them (in about 11 hours from now in fact).
Could I maybe log in to the CloudMan back end and configure it from
there?

Thanks,
Clare

--