Hello Christopher,

The most current version of the BWA wrapper is designed to work with version 0.5.9. This is true if you are pulling from the development repository or the distribution:

http://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/src/21138a4a1fea/tools/sr_mapping/bwa_wrapper.py

http://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-dist/src/338ead4737ba/tools/sr_mapping/bwa_wrapper.py

The documentation in our wiki is slightly outdated and does note 0.5.6 - I will correct this today.
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/NGS%20Local%20Setup

Perhaps you are running an older version of Galaxy? Support for the newer BWA version was incorporated on 2011-05-09:

http://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-dist/history/tools/sr_mapping/bwa_wrapper.py

http://galaxyproject.org/wiki/Support

Best,

Jen