Hello Greg,

Galaxy does not have versions as you'd find in commercial products.  There is a
strict requirement that Galaxy provide reproducible behavior always, so any new
feature introduced into Galaxy (or any enhancement to an existing feature) must
not break any older feature that came before.  Because of this, you can always
think of Galaxy as being "version 1" if it helps.

Galaxy does, however have different distributed "builds" or mercurial
"changeset revision" numbers.  You can find out what build your own local
instance is running if you type "hg heads" in the Galaxy install directory of
your local Galaxy instance.  The build of the main public Galaxy instance is
included in the following string on the main page in the center panel.

Galaxy build: $Rev 6299:b258de1e6cea$

The various builds that are made available in the distribution are always
documented in each of the associated news briefs that announce whats availabe
in each new distribution.  See our wiki at
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/News%20Briefs.

On Dec 21, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Greg Edwards wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've researched this in the new global Google Search tool
> http://galaxy.psu.edu/search/web/   but didn't see the answer I needed.
>
> Is there actually a single "version" of Galaxy ? or is it a collection of
> components with their own versions ?
> Can that can be seen on or near the Main front page ? I can't see a
> Version/About type of item, either in menus or lurking in some rev stamp at
> the bottom of pages etc.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Greg Edwards