Dear Peter,

Thank you for your reply. You are right I do have all 6 parts of the nr
database on the server plus the .pal file in the same directory.

The .loc file still is:

database      [build data]      path
nr_01_Mar_2012      nr 15 Mar 2012      /path/on/the/server/nr_directory/nr

but the megablast tool still doesn't recognise the database. Am I missing
something?

Thank you in advance,
Makis Ladoukakis