I have had it happen occasionally, but didn't pay attention to the details. Perhaps I forget to put --reload sometimes. Also, it seems that sometimes the Galaxy processes do not all stop with --stop-daemon. I wrote the text below as a recipe for people in my lab to restart in those situations, and I copied it here...