Hello Mervyn,

I just replied to your submission to the bugs list.

For all in general - alternate mapping tools can be used but which are appropriate depend on the inputs. If the transcriptome is unspliced (bacterial, etc), then Bowtie is often used. Just be sure to sort the resulting file before submitting to Cufflinks. If the transcriptome is spliced, then the mapper should map spliced reads, annotate them so that this tool suite recognizes them (the "XS attribute"), then the file sorted before submitting to Cufflinks.

Tophat does all of this by design for spliced reads. If you run the mapping jobs outside of Galaxy, be aware of how important the reference genome and any related annotation files (GFF, GTF) planned to be used downstream are to the success of the results. All inputs must be an /exact match/. These wiki sections explain:
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Support#Reference_genomes
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Support#Tools_on_the_Main_server
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Support#Custom_reference_genome (best for smaller genomes, for larger genomes try a cloud Galaxy with scaled resources for best performance)

Best,