thanks for the information Ross but I'm lost with the guide for the fastqc
tool. I don't understand how to resolve "missing tool dependecies"

Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 22:30:58 +1100
Subject: Re: [galaxy-user] Problem with executable file in FastQC
From: ross.laza...@gmail.com
To: braun_...@hotmail.com
CC: galaxy-user@lists.bx.psu.edu

Hi, Jorge,Galaxy source includes the Galaxy interfaces but not the third party
executables for tools like fastqc or bwa. They can be automagically installed
if you install the tool from a tool shed but at a guess, you are working on
your desktop with the fastqc tool in a recent clone of galaxy? Unfortunately,
the tool can't run until you have the fastqc software working in a particular
way hinted at in the guide for the fastqc tool on the page at
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Tools/Tool%20Dependencies - try that please?

There are things to do to make your instance more reliable and stable too - eg
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Config/Performance/ProductionServer