Hi.
The ability to have and use magical powers is totally dependant on how
you rolled your characters stats. In general your ora, and spirit, rolls
need to be in the teens or higher. Even then a relm of magic is no good
until you train it up to skillful or higher.
For example, my Sryth character is working in the relm of fordification.
It somewhat worked once I hit level 20, but before that it was about
useless. By the time fordification hit 30 or so it was useful as a
power. Until then you need to be skilled in weapons and take on a more
warlike character. That is why melee and stamina rolls as well as might
are important for the game.