another thing is if the mods are good enough they will want to share
it, and if the dev in question is willing to post a section on mods
on their site well the game becomes endless.
Audioquake for example is a mod of quake in itself.
However the 2 popular mods, overkill and jedyquake are most played.
I don't really like the audioquake standard mod but the rest is all right.