Following on from the point Sarah just made, I'd say that if and when
these titles become less easy to acquire or less easy to get up and
running, there will be some advantages. People who're just starting
out and experimenting with development need challenges. At the moment,
if someone knocks out a space invaders clone with simple game play
that's just intended to kill a spare 10 minutes, there's little appeal
to pick that up as there's a bunch of existing titles already nailing
it. Then, there's the type of people who'd enjoy hunting down these
older titles if and when they become less prevalent for the nostalgia.
None of this is intended to be disrespectful, they're all good games
in their own right and they've laid foundations, but really, as a
player I'm craving deeper mechanics and more exploration, and that's
where my money would be going. If it was advice you were looking for
Tom, mine would be to use your chops for something that counts,
something that'll move the community forward rather than sideways. In
time, there'll be budding developers who'll get a kick out of tackling
a retro remake style version of these games.

Scott