Well Thomas, what I really want to see from you is the completion of
the projects you've already committed to doing. You simply shouldn't
take on yet more endless stuff right now. I even question the wisdom
of your involvement with whatever will become of Audyssey Magazine.
You've come close to complete meltdown a number of times even with
what you're already tackling. Even once you've finished James North's
stuff, you then need to work on at least a couple of your own projects
completely unhindered by any obligations. Once you've been able to do
that letting your full creative potential out of the box, I think
you'll feel a whole lot less pressured and more stable. The albatross
hanging around your neck is quite heavy enough. I very much worry that
this community will lose what passes for its patience and that this
could cost us your efforts and good will. Too many developers have
burned out already. I'd much rather live in a gaming community with
you being ultimately successful than with you ending up just another
tortured and bitter burn-out. I want you to reach a state where you
feel completely free to develop whatever your creative muse suggests
to you unhindered by any other obligation. You'll doubtless do
splendidly with The Montezuma's Revenge and Raceway replacements. I
eagerly await the day when you release those finished creations
proving all your doubters dead wrong. I haven't given up on you there.
But I'm thinking beyond that. What I really want to know is what
precisely is a full-blown genuine Thomas Ward epic game experience? I
know the answer to that same question from pretty much every other
game developer since 1996 when I started Audyssey. You, however, due
to an act of well-intentioned generocity gone wrong, are still a
fragile mystery. I don't know you nearly as well as I feel I know
other developers despite keeping careful watch on your postings. From
what I hear and the betas I've experienced, I think you have the skill
to come up with some awesome stuff. I'm expecting something very
different and interesting when you at last answer the question of what
a full-blown completely finished epic Thomas Ward creation is like.
However, I'll only get to find out whether I'm right if you get all
the other stuff squared away and done first. Given how things have
gone, I think that's going to be a long and uncertain journey.

> Hi Al,
>
> Yes, the wrestling game started out as a remake of the old Piledriver
> game for Dos, and obviously is still in active production. However,
> that is a good case in point.
>
> The reason I began rewriting Piledriver is my new laptop is a 64-bit
> machine and Piledriver will not run on it because it is an old 16-bit
> Dos application. If there were several accessible wrestling games
> around I wouldn't have bothered, but there are just Piledriver and
> Wrestling League Manager which won't run on 64-bit Windows. So writing
> the wrestling game makes sense.
>
> With a game like Troopanum I have to ask, "where is the
> justification?" There is Alien Outback, Troopanum, Judgment Day, Dark
> Destroyer, and so on. Even if we lose Troopanum people can still buy
> Alien Outback or download Dark Destroyer from the USA Games site for
> free. So it is hard to justify rewriting Troopanum for free let alone
> charging for it.
>
> Cheers!
>
> On 4/21/13, Allan Thompson <allan1.thomp...@cox.net> wrote:
>> Hi Tom,
>> For my two cents...
>> I would say that  many of the old games would not be worth a remake.
>> However, why not get a more detailed  opinion from the list. I am sure
>> when
>> people talk about wanting an old game remake, that they  are thinking of
>> maybe two or three games on average.
>> So maybe it would help you better if you  set up a top three games list,
>> and
>> see which  three old games  out of a list you make of the ones you want
>> work on, so that you would get a clear indication of what people might be
>> actually talking about  in terms of remakes. Like you said, you really
>> don't
>> want to have to do remakes of space invader like games etc and so forth.
>>
>> Personally, I am not much for any of the games  so far listed, so no, I
>> probably wouldn't bother  donating or paying attention to the remake of
>> such
>> things.
>>
>> The exception for me is the wrestling game you talked about some weeks
>> back.
>> I would definitely pay to see that game come to life, and it is also a
>> remake too, right?
>>
>> al
>> "The truth will set you free"
>> Jesus Christ of Nazareth 33A.D.

Michael Feir
Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011--
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/personal-power.html

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.com/2009/01/life-of-word-and-sound.html

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine 1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.com