hi, exactly. and to the person, i forget who now, said about security
programs and such doing so, yes, but generally its not locked down to
a particular machine, based on the hardware thats in that machine!
.... and generally, such hardware registration systems can be
deregistered from one machine, and applied to a different one. the
hardware system that we seems to be using here for the most part,
appears to have a major problem. that is, if you upgrade any part of
your computer, the program will no longer be registered for your
machine!
lets say i upgrade my netbooks ram from 1 gb, to 2 gb of ram after
registering such a program. i would then have to buy the game again!

admitedly, some don't work this way. but too many of them do.
and as you say tom. it never stopped pirates. just hampered them ....
for a week or two. lol.
personally, there are some better ideas for registering a program. for
example. lets say you use an internet registration mechonism.
lets say that when you registered, you register with an email address,
your name, and a password. you could then put a form in the
registration for the program, that would send your user name, and
password off to the server. it could then look that up, and then send
a confirmation code to your registered email. that way, you go get
that code from your personal email address, and nobody can hack that.
as you would have to have access to that email address.
what i'm saying is, there are far more effective ways of locking
people out of cracking, then a hardware registration. yes, it require
a server to be run. yes, it requires internet registration. so, people
are going to say, oh, but what if i don't have access to internet to
register it. well, i'm sorry to say this, but ... deal with it. there
are a lot of games out there, in the mainstream gaming world, that
require internet registration. and if you don't have access to
internet. too bad. find access, long enough to register.

as for the idea of this pack, i personally think he has given people
long enough. the only area in which he perhaps could have done a
little better, is finding a way to transmit the info out to everybody
on this list, and perhaps others, as soon as he made the pack
purchasable. but, thats his choice. and i have to admit. yes, its sad
to see his stuff going. and i will probably atempt to buy the pack,
simply so i have them, even if i don't use the games a lot. but never
the less, I think, if the audio gaming industry is worth anything,
then they should be able to come up with replacements, if not in fact
better games. simply because, well, this is now, that was then. the
games were good. yes. but with todays abilities, and the amount of
sounds and music out there, i think that it would be easy enough to
make replacements.
and agreed, tom.
the conversion rates can be a killer, in a lot of cases. i mean, there
was one time, where if i wanted a program, from england, and the dev
there was charging say, 15 pound, it would have hert for me to buy it.
it would have been nearly 50 dollars australian! ... but now, its not
too bad. so yes. i can see where conversion rates can kill a person's
ability to buy the programs.
regards:
Dallas