I aggree with you on that tom.
I am still working on xp and 7 on 2 laptops.
I have not done to much gaming on the 7 box though as I have spent most of my time sorting out files.

At 03:40 AM 5/2/2013, you wrote:
Hi Dark,

Since you insist on appraising Windows 7 totally on the basis of
benefits here are some benefits to consider. They may be important to
you or not but here are some things to consider all the same.

1. UI Automation. As mentioned earlier this is a new API available for
Windows 7 and Windows 8 users that will revolutionize the way screen
readers work with both the operating system and newer Windows
applications. Since the technology is only available on newer Windows
platforms those who choose to stick with XP will not be able to obtain
and use newer applications written using this new API.

2. Improved security. Besides User Account Control there are a number
of free tools to protect your Windows 7 system free of viruses and
other malware including Microsoft Security Essentials, Windows
Defender, as well as security fixes for many other vulnerabilities.

3. Internet Explorer 10. The web is changing and HTML 5 is becoming
more standardized across the web and you may need a current web
browser like Internet Explorer 10 to stay up to date and compatible
with the Internet. Plus Internet Explorer 10 is faster and more secure
than older versions.

4. Improved stability. One thing Microsoft did right with Windows 7 is
they took the OS and removed a lot of legacy code that had been in the
OS for several years, did some performance tuning, and as a result
turned out a faster and more stable OS.

To give you an example of this in action I have here a desktop PC with
a 3 GHZ Intel Pentium IV processor, 2 GB of ram, etc. I put Windows XP
on it with service pack 3 with all the latest updates and the system
ran sort of slow. I erased XP and put Windows 7 on it and there was a
dramatic improvement in performance. It booted twice as fast, shutdown
twice as fast, and applications seemed to load faster. It crashed less
and was arguably the more stable of the two.

5. Improved search capabilities. The new search capabilities of
Windows 7 are nothing short of great. You can type in the name of a
setting like UAC into the search box, press enter, and it will take
you immediately to the dialog box to configure your User Account
Control Settings. If you want to launch a program like Notepad quickly
you can press the Windows key and type Notepad into the search field,
press enter, and it will load Notepad for you. You can press the
Windows key,type a web address into the search field, and it will open
it in Internet Explorer. If you know the name of a file you can type
the name of the file into the search field and have it automatically
find and open said file. I us the search field so much I forget the
Programs menu is there and half the time don't even bother looking in
my Home directory for files because the search field does it all.

6. Pinning apps to the Task Bar. As previously mentioned on list what
I love about this feature if I know the hot key for a specific
application window I can just press Windows+1 through Windows+0 to
jump to and from all the applications I have running rather than
alt+tabbing through each and every window that happens to be open.
This is one of those features that might not sound like much, but once
you get use to having it you will greatly appreciate it.

These are just a few benefits that a person might consider when
upgrading to Windows 7. The basic thing I want to point out here is
contrary to what some people have been saying Windows 7 is not just a
new UI and that's it. A lot of time and work has gone into the OS and
was a drastic improvement over Windows Vista and in many cases some
things were improved over XP too. I realize you may have had some bad
experiences, but I don't know if that was simply your unfamiliarity
with the OS or just the fact you went into it expecting
disappointment, but I for one really am happy with Windows 7. I really
do believe the benefits out weigh the cons here.

As for Valiant's assertion that it takes hours to learn the Windos 7
interface I think that comes down to a person's technical skills. I
installed Windows 7 and had no troubles adapting to it myself. It only
took me a couple of hours to get use to the OS and figure out where
everything was. After that it was smooth sailing ever since. All the
same I think everyone needs to have enough time to get acquainted with
an OS before they make a decision about it.

Cheers!