Well I do sympathise with you.
howeverthings are changing.
I used to have a couple synths a keynote external and a dectalk which never ran right with xp at all. Ofcause its a bit mute now, my systems well most of the newer ones I have don't even have a serial port. The later systems I have both desktop and laptop a like don't even have a modem or moniter port. its all usb 2 3 and hdmi now with wired and wireless broadband connecters so unless you get a card or adaptor or something your serial device may be no go. Not to mention that some try to access ports directly which guess what windows really gets cranky about. Firstly its secured against direct access and second more often than not it really doesn't connect to any physical ports these days unless forced to its all vertual. in the case with my dectalk express, the system tried to go through sam and tried to directly interface with the hardware which windows would not let it. in the best case it would work but not run right speaking it through the soundcard in a weird language and at worst windows would detect something was trying to mess with its port and lock me out of starting the box.
The only way to fix it was to reformat.
After trying this at least 20 times and having to reformat almost every time I surmised this was probably something to that effect and stopped trying.
Ofcause it ended up not mattering as both synths broke and ports went away.
I have always said I'd get an external synth but with all the junk thats going round with all the space and devices I have I've never got round to it.
my first nettable system was in 1996 when I got my first pcmcia card modem.
Before I had dos but it was not for much at all.