Well, I haven't messed with IF games for some time, but I figured I would give
them another go. I'm looking for something with a lot of depth, immersive, that
kind of thing. The thing is that the really good ones, like Jigsaw, have
needless difficulties. I think a game should be about solving puzzles, not
looking for hidden exits and needing to search, examine, and look under every
single item. Some of that is cool, but it's overdone in a lot of IF games--I'm
not looking for a hide and find.
Another great IF game, Worlds Apart, is a good example of this. From what I
remember, every challenge had a point to it, and the depth of the game was
breathtaking. It still ranks number 1 of all the IF games I've ever played.
Beyond Zork would have had that position except that I had to go to a
walkthrough to solve the bubbles puzzle, since I saw no corelation between the
bubbles and where they were supposed to be used or how. Still though, it was
definitely one of the best, with Jigsaw a close third, although i've had to
consult the clues since almost its beginning.
We can talk about other game platforms too, like TADS, but Inform is the one
I'm mainly interested at the mo since i'm gaming on my iPhone. The reason I
mention Tads here is because of my fourth fave, Once and Future, another game
rich with puzzles and depth.
So what are your thoughts? Also, how would you say that IF games have evolved
since, say, 2000?