To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 12:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Best Audio Engine for vb.net

Hi Ken,

Technically OpenAL and XAudio2 are called audio APIs not audio
engines. In the future you might want to refer to them as APIs or
libraries when speaking to other developers. :D

Anyway, in terms of audio libraries I would strongly recommend OpenAL
over XAudio2. The reason is that XAudio2 has a few bugs in it, and by
using OpenAL with VB .NET you can actually develop cross-platform
games using the Mono Framework for Mac and Linux if you choose to take
that route. OpenAL-Soft also has some advanced hardware processing
which is reasonably good on Creative Labs sound cards. There are a
couple of different OpenAL .NET wrappers, I haven't tried either, but
I think OpenAL.NET probably is your best bet.

As far as XAudio2 goes it comes with the DirectX SDK, and is shipped
by default with Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. If you want to
develop games using XAudio2 and VB .Net you need to download SlimDX
which is a .NET wrapper for Microsoft DirectX.

HTH