To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2013 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] iOS audio horror games.

Hi lori.

Grues were creatures in the original Zork interactive fiction games by infocom from the 1980's. Everytime you went into somewhere dark you'd get the message "it's pitch dark, you are in danger of being eaten by a grue" and then if you didn't immediately exit the area or light a match you were told "oh no! you've stumbled in the jaws of a lirking grue!"

Grues were therefore held to be creatures who waited in the dark to eat adventurers who went stumbling around without a light.

Obviously this presents an amusing paradox for blind gamers.

While I am not personally a major fan of the Zork games, (too much in the way of illogical puzzles and guess the verb), I do love the idea of the grue! I like the name, i like the fact that nobody actually knows what they look like or what they are (I did hear in a later zork game you got to see one but that's quite disappointing).

I even wrote a little song (which I'd love to reccord if I ever find the technology), the chorus of which are "Beware the grue! whatever yee may do, he'll bight your thighs, suck out your eyes and make a meal of you, he'll use your skin to keep things in, and use your blood as glue, he'll eat you most completely, so look out for the grue!"

It has about three verses, all involving various people being eaten by the grue, and choruses that get preogressively more weerd! what can I say, I just love the word grue!

Regarding gamebooks, well Lori there are a lot of good ones out there with really atmospheric and quite exceptional writing, so while I fully agree that audio games are awsome, you might want to try some out, --- such as the choiceofgames on the iphone or the offerings from

http://www.ffproject.com/ for more you can search the audiogames.net db by "gamebooks" as genre.

Beware the Grue!