Hi Tom.

Funnily enough, Your glass example is exactly what I experienced myself with Andrew plotkin's game shade, in which the first task is to fill a glass of water in order to drink. put glass in sink, put glass under faucet, fill glass I tried everything I could think of and finished up getting frustrated with the game.

This is also why I would like to see more rpg elements in interactive fiction games sinse to me those are much more interesting challenges.

Funnily enough a new version of kerkerkruip came out the other day which is about the best rpg I know in an if language and some of the mechanics there are awsome, it is now possible for example to roll when an enemy attacks you putting you in a much better position to hit them back, but giving you less chance of dodging the attack. There are also for example situations where you wouldn't want to try dodging, say because your enemy has a far longer reach than you as happened when I fought the chain golem monster, and situations where parrying is a bad idea, eg, if you have a small dagger and are fighting someone with a large sword. There are even areas in the game that affect your combat, for example a narrow bridge where dodging is disabled.

All in all the game is great precisely because! it's challenges are all of this nature, challenges to your judgement of a given situation not unguessable puzzles.

Oh, and to anticipate questions, Kerkerkruip can be found http://kerkerkruip.org/ you will need a glulx interpreter to play it such as winglulx or gargoil, but I'd highgly recommend it as it's an awsome game and the new up[dates have just made it even better.

All the best,