Hi Folks,
Congratulations to For All To Play
They reached their $8,00 goal for developing a for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux game.
They only need $816 to reach their Mobile Versions goal in the next 3 days.
Grail to the Thief: An Interactive Audio Adventure

by For All To Play
from Worcester, MA
Grail to the Thief is an interactive audio adventure for the blind and visually impaired. for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux that can be played using only sound, without the need for visuals. The game has been designed with the needs of the blind and visually impaired in mind but is also designed to be played by the non-impaired. Our goal is to deliver an exciting, immersive experience in which the player will always be fully aware of what is happening through the use of voice-overs, sound effects, ambient sound and music.

In Grail to the Thief, players make their choices through a conversation tree, eliminating the confusion and frustration that comes with traditional text adventure games, which require players to type in commands to progress. The game is a nostalgic throwback to childhood favorites such as Zork, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango, and draws inspiration from old BBC radio dramas and the movie Time Bandits.

The game stars Hank Krang, a dirty thief from the near future, who recently had a self-aware time machine called the Time Excursion Digital Interface, or TEDI, fall into his lap after a poker game. He has decided to use this technology to go throughout time, stealing priceless artifacts. On his first adventure, Grail to the Thief, Hank travels to Arthurian times in search of the Holy Grail.

The idea for the game came about when we were conducting research into game design for the visually impaired. During this time, we conducted interviews at Perkins School for the Blind and performed extensive research which led us to discover that few games are available to the blind and visually impaired, and many of the games that are available are severely dated, lack the quality and polish of games for the sighted, and rely on synthesized computer voices such as screen readers in order to play.

Grail to the Thief is designed to address these problems, and the game will be just as accessible and exciting an experience for the blind and visually impaired as it will be for the non-impaired. Your funding will help us deliver an interactive audio adventure with an engaging story, interesting characters, professional voiceovers and sound effects, and accessible controls. The game will be available as a DRM-free download for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux in August 2014.

Play the Prototype!

We developed a browser based prototype of Grail to the Thief. The prototype requires Google Chrome or Opera and is accessible at foralltoplay.com/prototype. The interface and some of the audio in the prototype are placeholder assets and will be replaced in the complete game, which will be a standalone executable and will not require a web browser to play.

Steam Greenlight

Help us bring Grail to the Thief to Steam by voting for us on Steam Greenlight. Those that pledge $5 or more will receive a Steam key for the game upon it being greenlit.

Our Team

Elias Aoude
Business & Production
Elias received his Bachelor of Science in Interactive Media Design from The New England Institute of Art, and is currently obtaining his Master's of Science in Interactive Media & Game Development at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Elias has over five years experience in the Interactive Media industry, and is responsible for business development and overseeing production of Grail to the Thief.

Anthony Russo
Game & Sound Design
Anthony received his Bachelor of Science in Interactive Media & Game Development at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. He is responsible for the game design, sound design, and writing on Grail to the Thief.

DJ White
Game Programming
DJ received his Bachelor of Science in Interactive Media & Game Development from Worcester Polytechnic Institute. DJ is responsible for all of the tech that makes Grail to the Thief run. He makes sure that controls are responsive, all sounds are implemented and running smoothly, and that the game is free of bugs and game breaking technical issues.

Acknowledgements

Thanks to Brian Moriarty and Keith Zizza for advising us during the design, development, and production of the Grail to the Thief prototype. Thanks to Jennifer deWinter, Frank Hoy, and Dean O'Donnell for advising us on our quest to bring the game to market. Thanks to Greg Moore, who's invaluable testing methodologies allowed us to identity and address potential problems early in the production process.

To build this game, we need to reach our fundraising goal of $8,000. Your funding will help cover the costs of software licensing, game development, backer reward fulfillment, and Kickstarter and Amazon credit card processing fees.

Stretch Goals

$10,000 (Mobile Versions)
We can afford to port Grail to the Thief to iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, and Windows RT devices. The additional funds raised will cover the costs of licensing add-ons for Unity Pro (iOS Pro, Android Pro), app store developer licenses, and additional programming and quality assurance efforts.

$15,000 (Playable Female Character)
We can afford to add a playable female character to Grail to the Thief. The additional funds raised will cover the costs of writing, editing, voice acting, programming and quality assurance efforts.

$25,000 (Spanish Localization)
We can afford to add Spanish localization support to Grail to the Thief. The additional funds raised will cover the costs of English to Spanish translation of the script, Spanish voice acting, and additional programming and quality assurance efforts.

As of May 1, 2014 207 Backers
$9,184 pledged of $8,000 goal

3 days to go

This project will be funded on Sun, May 4, 2014 12:29 PM EDT.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/foralltoplay/grail-to-the-thief-an-interactive-audio-adventure