Hi Bryan,

They unfortunately happen sometimes, but the consensus of marine
biologists is that they are rogue sharks. Most shark attacks involve
young sharks who are patrolling the coasts and young sharks are
apparently more likely to attack an unknown prey than older more
experienced sharks. I'm no expert on this subject, and am mainly going
on what I have heard on National Geographic, Animal Planet, and
elsewhere, but the bottom line is the Jaws movies have been way
overblown and have given the great white a bad rep for eating people.
Fact of the matter is while shark attacks do happen they are far less
frequent and less consistent than the media would have us believe.

For example, I had a friend who went swimming in the Golf of Mexico
before the huge oil spill a few years ago and while he was snorkeling
he swam right past a great big shark. He was scared to death of it,
but it didn't look his way. It just swam on by and paid him no
attention.

Point being that we are not generally prey for sharks, and don't
regularly come into contact with them. In a lot of cases when we do
come into direct contact with a shark it ignores us. There are of
course cases where we can unwittingly get their attention such as
getting a small cut which puts blood in the water and will attract
their attention by engaging their hunting instincts. Also sharks
apparently can't see well and if they happen to see a human or
something swimming above them their instinct is to attack it and are
attracted by the motion rather than any need to eat it. Most people
who get attacked do so by accidently getting the sharks attention in
some way which is unfortunate for both of them.

Cheers!