Jody,

I'd like to address just one point in particular:

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Jody McKinniss <jlove42...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) You have to think that it's worth doing (most developers don't.)
> Hmm.  This is puzzling to me, since as a developer I would want to reach as
> many people as possible.

It's important to remember that developers want to reach as many
people as possible, given the limited resources they have to reach
those people.  The key here is 'limited resources'.

Adding proper accessibility to a system usually takes up a pretty big
percentage of your development resources on a project.  The blind
community is small, and if you're going to focus on it, you have to be
really sure it'll pay off.  Otherwise, the time a developer spends
supporting the blind could have brought in ten or a hundred times as
many sighted people.

In other words, it's a risky business decision as a developer to add
accessibility.  Sure, being accessible gets you more users, but it
usually gets you less users than improving the non-accessible parts of
the system.

Big companies and products, like microsoft windows, support
accessibility for a bunch of different reasons:

1) They've already got nearly all the sighted people, so adding
sighted features isn't going to bring in more users.  Adding
accessibility might though.

2) They can allocate just a few developers, far less than one percent,
to work on the hardest problems and get a minimum amount of support
and still have it be useful.

3) There are special contracts you can get that are worth obscene
amounts of money if you can sell accessibility in the right places at
the right time.

4) They might get sued if they don't offer at least some support.

Keep in mind, most of these reasons really only apply to big companies
and big projects.  For small developers, it's almost never worth the
effort.  As a small developer:

1) Your biggest audience by far is going to be the sighted crowd,
unless you specifically pick a VI project from the start.

2) You've only got yourself, and if you only allocate an hour a week
to accessibility, you're just not going to get anything useful done.
As an example, it's been years of occasional research, and I -still-
don't know how to make the main window in the Alter Aeon custom client
reader capable.

3) You're too small to get those lucrative contracts and special deals
that might make a profit.

4) Nobody's going to sue you to force you to add accessibility, both
because small developers don't really have enough money to make it
worthwhile, and because accessibility laws only apply to big
companies.

There's always exceptions, such as Alter Aeon.  We initially added
accessibility because I made friends with several people, and they
asked for simple things that were easy to implement.  I gradually put
more and more work into accessibility over the years because there
were more and more blind people playing, and I decided to go all out
with it when I realized that I'd rather work with the blind than most
of the mainstream sighted gaming crowd.  However, that's the
exception, rather than the rule.

In summary:  most developers don't support accessibility because it's
not the best use of their time.  This is almost entirely because the
market is small.  There's nobody to blame for this, nobody to sue, and
no way to legislate the problem out of existence; it's just the way
things are.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com