Wow Tom! no way!  That's way cool!  <smile>  Actually, it's not
altogether surprising, as you might be surprised how many games still use
variants of that engine in some form...

   Not sure if you're aware, but though Doom gets cred for being the first
3d FPS it wasn't truly 3d as the creatures and such were 2d models and some
of the map features also couldn't be viewed in true panoramic 3d.  Quake on
the other hand changed all that and was the first truly 3d engine which
amazes me as it's still used today, as I said.  Incidentally, as of late
2005, Quake 1 has just come out on certain cell phones which have graphics
acceleration, and will run all, I repeat all, Quake 1 mods!  So
technically, it would be possible to run audio Quake on a cell
phone!  dig?...  <smile>

   Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but just had to!  <smile>

   As for VEF, I'm wondering if that may be why their license agreement is
a bit open ended like that?  As the Quake 3 engine / game code is also open
source...

Which brings me to your idea.  I agree that it would be pretty easy to come
up with an accessible version of VEF based on that engine.  My work has
been concerned with quake 1, but I'll most definitely give this a look up
on the web and see what I can find.   <smile>  Need another pair of hands?!

   anyway, this is definitely a terrific idea which I'd love love love to
see happen!

Smiles,

Cara

At 08:57 PM 1/17/2007 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi Cara,
>Interesting enough I noticed while playing Elite Force it seams to be
>based on a modified version of the Quake Engine. Some of the stuff
>reminded me allot like Quake, but was all Star Trek.
>The sounds were packed in the Quake 3 pak file format which was a sinch
>to lockpick, and that leads me to believe they used the Quake 3 engine
>as the basis for Voyager.
>I suppose there might be a couple of ways of cranking out an accessible
>version such as rewrite a new executable or come up with an Audio Quake mod.
>

>Cara Quinn wrote:
> >    Nice, sounds like one I might want to get!  Thanks much for the
> review!!!
> >
> > Smiles,
> >
> > Cara

>--

   View my on-line portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

   "The only things I really think are important, are love, and each
other.  -Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~cara-quinn