PCS Games history

For those new to the field of games for the blind,
here is a short history of our company.
In September 1995, Carl Mickla started Personal Computer Systems with his game, Any Night Football. It was a DOS only game that used your DOS screen reader to describe game play and the PC speaker to make referee whistle sounds.
In March 1996, Phil Vlasak joined PCS to create
DOS games using real sounds recorded as wave files.
In March 1996, PCS released Monopoly, our first game using real sounds. We tried making the sounds play from within our games but found that there were so many different DOS sound cards that it was too difficult to do. We knew that several sound drivers were already available for DOS and we contacted their
developers and got their approval to include them in our games.
In April 1996, PCS released Tenpin Bowling, our second sound game.
In August of 1996 We found out about Audyssey,
the magazine discussing computer games accessible to the blind.
We submitted our first article to Michael Feir in Issue 2: September/October, 1996.

PCS Provides New Horizons
Audyssey;
Computer Games Accessible to the Blind
by Michael Feir
Issue 2: September/October, 1996

PCS Provides New Horizons
by Michael feir

In the last issue, I stated my opinion that the market base was too
small to support a company which made games specifically for the
blind community. I was quickly proven wrong in this assessment when
soon after I published the first issue, I was contacted by Philip
Vlasak, a member of a company called Personal Computer Systems.
This company sells computers and also designs games specifically
for the blind. Instead of the word-based games which one might
expect them to be making, they are concentrating on more sound-
based games. They have devised a bowling alley, a shooting range,
a Snakes and Ladders-style math adventure game, a very good version
of Monopoly, and a football game. I have included their complete
catalog below, which includes more detailed descriptions of these
games, and also provides information concerning contacting them.
They are always interested in ideas for games, and have already
welcomed one of my own suggestions, still under development by
myself and a good friend of mine. Projects being worked on by PCS
include a Dungeons and Dragons game and a five-on-five tank battle.
The next issue of this magazine will be the Christmas edition, and
detailed reviews of all PCS products will be included. Before I
leave you to their catalog, let me urge all of you to give this
company's products serious consideration. PCS is a small company,
which has already shown tremendous promise in terms of initiative
and original thinking. With our support, who knows where their
creative energies will take us?

EXCITING GAMES FOR THE BLIND
Personal Computer Systems is a company that only includes blind
programmers.  PCS is interested in providing fast action, fun, and
exciting computer board AND arcade games for the blind.  In our
board games, everything is described with all the necessary details
as the game is being played and any information such as position or
score may be obtained by hitting a key.  In our arcade games,
instead of using visual graphics or pictures, which depend on a
player aiming at an object we have the player aim by using their
ears TO HEAR A TONE OR A SERIES OF BEEPS TO TARGET BY.  Thus, the
impossible to play eye hand video game becomes an easy to play ear
hand audio game.  We believe that the same enjoyment can be
achieved by a blind player playing our games, as a sighted person
playing a video game.
We are developing programs to make use of one area where a blind
person can grow and succeed.  Playing sounds through a sound card
will be used to enhance and blend with the operation of our
programs.  We in the blind community can get a similar enjoyment
from a sound card as the sighted community gets from graphics on a
monitor.

GAMES BY PCS:
ANY NIGHT FOOTBALL.  This is a text based football game.  Which is
simple to play, and the teams are historically reflected in the
statistics used.  (This game has no digital sounds like the other
four games but we are working on a new version with real football
sounds and player's names due out at the beginning of the 1996
football season.
ANY NIGHT FOOTBALL sells for thirty dollars.
MONOPOLY. A very speech friendly Monopoly game with over fifty
multi media sounds. MONOPOLY sells for thirty dollars.
MOBIUS MOUNTAIN.  A speech friendly math adventure game with real
sounds. It was written similar to Shoots and Ladders, with speech
in mind to enable blind children to know exactly what is going on
in the game at all times. MOBIUS sells for twenty dollars.
TENPIN. Use your ear and hand skills to bowl against up to eight
players or try to beat your highest score. Hear the sounds of the
ball rolling down the alley and the pins knocking over! TEN PIN
sells for thirty dollars.
SHOOT. An exciting gun shooting game using hand and ear skills.
You can shoot with over fifty guns in four different shooting
ranges. SHOOT sells for thirty dollars.

We at PCS are always looking for new ideas for programs, and if you
have a new idea we will give it some consideration.  If we make a
program which you suggested you will receive the program free.

Contact PCS in any format at:
Personal Computer Systems
551 Compton ave.
Perth Amboy N.J.  08861
Phone (908) 826-1917.

Below is a more detailed review of the games.

ANY NIGHT FOOTBALL.
A text based football game.  Which is simple to play, and the teams
are historically reflected in the game.  It includes 28 teams and
their stats to make a very realistic, enjoyable and easy to play
game for the blind.

The following is a sample of the description:
THE QUARTERBACK IS CALLING AN AUDIBLE.
THE CHIEFS ARE IN A PASS PREVENT SHORT.  THREE, FIVE, THREE,
DEFENCE.
the quarterback gets the ball. and fakes it to the back. and sets
up to pass.  HE PUMPS! AND HE IS LOOKING DEEP DOWN THE SIDELINE!
AND HE PASSES!  IT IS A HIGH WOBBLY PASS!
COMPLETE! THE RECEIVER HANGS ON TO IT! NICE CATCH! THE BALL WAS
HUMMING!  THE PLAY IS GOOD FOR A 49 YARD GAIN.
IT IS FIRST DOWN AND 10 YARDS TO GO.
the COWBOYS ARE ON THE CHIEFS 20 YARD LINE.

This game follows the same rules as the NFL with 24 offensive and
8 defensive plays and allows you to play another person or against
the computer.
ANY NIGHT FOOTBALL sells for $30.00

    MONOPOLY

MONOPOLY was written for the blind and follows all of the
conventional rules of the PARKER BROTHER'S board game.  It has
options that allow for very detailed descriptions, location of
properties and tokens, and distribution of the players money.  The
aim of this game was to enable blind people to follow and know
exactly what is going on in the game at all times.  This game also
has over 50 multi media sounds.  If you have a sound card in your
machine, you will now be able to enjoy the game even more.  If you
do not have a sound card, the game is also designed to play the
sounds through the P C speaker.

The following is a sample of the description:

PLAYER 1 CARL IS UP
THE DICE ARE 4 AND 2
THE ROLL IS 6
PLAYER 1 IS ON SIDE 4 AT POSITION 5
YOU HAVE LANDED ON SHORT LINE RAILROAD
THE COST OF THIS PLACE IS 200
THE FOURTH OF FOUR OF RAILROAD
YOU ALSO OWN ANOTHER PROPERTY OF THIS GROUP!
PLAYER 2 PHIL OWNS A PROPERTY BELONGING TO THIS GROUP!
THE PROPERTY IS NOT OWNED.
PLAYER 1 HAS 334 DOLLARS IN THE BANK.

PLAYER 4 ZACK IS UP
THE DICE ARE 1 AND 5
THE ROLL IS 6
PLAYER 4 IS ON SIDE 2 AT POSITION 8
YOU HAVE LANDED ON TENNESSEE AVENUE
THE SECOND OF THREE OF ORANGE
THIS PROPERTY IS ALREADY OWNED BY PLAYER 3 TIM
THE RENT COLLECTOR.
YOUR RENT IS 14 DOLLARS.
AFTER PAYING YOUR RENT,
YOUR ACCOUNT IS REDUCED TO 1412 DOLLARS.

You may play the game with two to four people.  You can save a game
in progress then restart that game later. Most of the rules are
taken care of by the computer, but you may set the starting cash
any where between zero and three thousand dollars.
MONOPOLY sells for $30.00

MOBIUS MOUNTAIN.

This math adventure game was written for blind children and follows
the format

of the Shoots and Ladders board game.  It was written with speech
in mind to enable blind children to know exactly what is going on
in the game at all times.  This game also has multi media sounds.
If you have a sound card in your computer, you will now be able to
enjoy the game even more.  If you do not have a sound card, the
game is also designed to play the sounds through the P C speaker.

The following is a sample of the description:

PLAYER 1 DAN IS UP.
THE SPIN IS 12
HERE IS AN ENTRANCE TO A COLD DAMP CAVE!
A MATH PROBLEM.
HOW MUCH IS 3 MINUS 2 5
THAT ANSWER IS NOT RIGHT.
THE RIGHT ANSWER IS 1
    oops! FALLING DOWN A DEEP PIT!
DAN IS ON THE PATH, AT LEVEL 10 5 STEPS FROM THE NEXT LEVEL.

PLAYER 2 AUGIE IS UP.
THE SPIN IS 1
THERE IS A BOLDER BEGINNING TO FALL ABOVE THE PATH!
A MATH PROBLEM.
HOW MUCH IS 11 PLUS 5
HIS ANSWER IS 16
CORRECT!
AUGIE RUN QUICKLY. VERY QUICKLY UP THE PATH.
AND AVOID THE ROCK SLIDE!

You may play the game with one to four people.  You can also play
against the computer.  There are seven skill levels so children of
any age will be able to play and succeed at the game.  These levels
range from addition and subtraction problems of two single digit
numbers to multiplication and division problems of two double digit
numbers.  At the end of the game each player will get a report of
how well they did in solving the math problems.

MOBIUS sells for $20.00

    TENPIN BOWLING

Now through the addition of sounds a blind person can throw a ball
down a lane with the aim of knocking down ten pins that are
positioned in a triangle at the end of the lane.
this bowling game was written for the blind community.  The game
follows the format of the real tenpin bowling game.
It was written with speech in mind to enable blind people to know
exactly what is going on in the game at all times.

This game has multi media sounds.  If you have a sound card in
your computer, you will now be able to enjoy the game even more.
If you do not have a sound card, the game is also designed to play
the sounds through the P C speaker.

The following is a sample of the description:

PLAYER 1 AL IS UP.
THE FIRST BALL.  OF FRAME 9
AIM FOR LANE 12 WHICH WILL HIT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE 1 PIN.
A PIN ROLLS IN TO A STANDING PIN. ROCKING IT. BUT IT DOES NOT FALL!
THE BALL HIT THE MARK! OH!  TOUGH BREAK.  THE PINS DID NOT FALL
RIGHT!  5 PINS WERE KNOCK DOWN WITH YOUR FIRST BALL.
THE 2 4 7 8 AND 10 PINS ARE LEFT STANDING.
YOUR SCORE IS 214
PLAYER 1 AL IS UP.
THE SECOND BALL.  OF FRAME 9
AIM FOR LANE 8 WHICH WILL HIT ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE 2 PIN.
THE BALL SWEPT WIDE!
YOUR BALL HIT 3 LANES TO THE LEFT OF THE MARK.
YOU KNOCKED 2 PINS DOWN WITH YOUR SECOND BALL.
FOR A TOTAL OF 7 PINS KNOCKED DOWN IN THE FRAME.
THE 2 8 AND 10 PINS ARE LEFT STANDING.
YOUR SCORE IS 216
PLAYER 2 JOAN IS UP.
THE FIRST BALL.  OF FRAME 9
AIM FOR LANE 12 WHICH WILL HIT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE 1 PIN.
ITS SPINNING! ITS SPINNING. THE 6 PIN IS SPINNING.
AND IT KNOCKS OVER THE 10 PIN.
YOU GOT A STRIKE! THE BALL HIT THE MARK!
FOR A TOTAL OF 10 PINS KNOCKED DOWN IN THE FRAME.
YOUR SCORE IS 217
THE LEADER AFTER 9 FRAMES IS,
JOAN WITH A SCORE OF 217 POINTS. AND HAS A TOTAL OF 6 STRIKES.
FOLLOWED BY:
AL WITH A SCORE OF 216 POINTS. WITH A TOTAL OF 5 STRIKES.  PLAYER
1 AL IS UP.
THE FIRST BALL.  OF FRAME 10
AIM FOR LANE 12 WHICH WILL HIT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE 1 PIN.
JUST ENOUGH. JUST ENOUGH SPEED ON THE BALL!
YOU GOT A STRIKE! THE BALL HIT THE SPOT!
YOUR SCORE IS 226
PLAYER 1 AL IS UP.
THE SECOND BALL.  OF FRAME 10
AIM FOR LANE 12 WHICH WILL HIT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE 1 PIN.
A LITTLE BETTER THERE A LITTLE MORE SPEED ON THE BALL.
YOU GOT A STRIKE! THE BALL HIT THE SPOT!
YOU KNOCKED 10 PINS DOWN WITH YOUR SECOND BALL.
YOUR SCORE IS 236
PLAYER 1 AL IS UP.
THE LAST BALL.  OF FRAME 10
AND AL HAS 2 STRIKES IN A ROW.
AIM FOR LANE 12 WHICH WILL HIT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE 1 PIN.
ITS WOBBLING. AND. AND. IT STAYS!  TOUGH BREAK.
THE BALL BROKE WIDE!
YOUR BALL HIT 1 LANE TO THE LEFT OF THE MARK.
THE 6 PIN IS LEFT STANDING.
YOUR SCORE IS 245
PLAYER 2 JOAN IS UP.
THE FIRST BALL.  OF FRAME 10
AIM FOR LANE 12 WHICH WILL HIT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE 1 PIN.
YOU GOT A STRIKE! THE BALL HIT THE SPOT!
YOUR SCORE IS 237
PLAYER 2 JOAN IS UP.
THE SECOND BALL.  OF FRAME 10
AND JOAN HAS 2 STRIKES IN A ROW.
AIM FOR LANE 12 WHICH WILL HIT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE 1 PIN.
OH! NICE BREAK. WITH THE BALL BREAKING SHARPLY. AND SWEEPING THE
LANE OFF.  YOU GOT A STRIKE! THE BALL HIT IN THE GROOVE!
YOU KNOCKED 10 PINS DOWN WITH YOUR SECOND BALL.
YOUR SCORE IS 257
PLAYER 2 JOAN IS UP.
THE LAST BALL.  OF FRAME 10
AND JOAN HAS 3 STRIKES IN A ROW.
AIM FOR LANE 12 WHICH WILL HIT ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE 1 PIN.
THE BALL BROKE WIDE!
YOUR BALL HIT 12 LANES TO THE LEFT OF THE MARK.
YOU ROLLED A GUTTER BALL!
YOUR SCORE IS 257
THE GAME IS OVER!
THE FINAL STANDINGS ARE.
JOAN WITH A SCORE OF 257 POINTS. AND HAS A TOTAL OF 8 STRIKES.
FOLLOWED BY:
AL WITH A SCORE OF 245 POINTS. WITH A TOTAL OF 7 STRIKES.

You may play the game with one to eight people.  You can also play
against the highest score in five speed categories.

TENPIN sells for $30.00

    SHOOTING RANGE FOR THE BLIND

You can shoot with more than fifty guns in four different Shooting
Ranges.  In the skeet range you can shoot at clay birds.
In the rifle range you can shoot at a target trying to hit the
bulls eye.  In the pistol range you can shoot at a steel human
silhouette target
In the junk yard you can shoot a rifle, a shotgun, or an automatic
weapon at over thirty objects.

This game has multi media sounds.  If you have a sound card in
your computer, you will now be able to enjoy the game even more.
If you do not have a sound card, the game is also designed to play
the sounds through the P C speaker.

The following is a sample of the description:
YOU ARE AT THE SKEET RANGE.
YOU WILL BE SHOOTING AT 10 CLAY BIRDS.
YOU ARE USING A SHOTGUN.
YOU ARE SHOOTING A TOURNAMENT.
HIT ANY KEY TO GO.
A HIT!
YOUR SHOT 1 WAS A HIT.
YOU HAVE 1 HIT.
OUT OF 1 SHOT.
FOR 1 SKEET.
HIT Q TO QUIT, OR HIT ANY OTHER KEY TO GO ON.
LEFT OF THE MARK.
YOUR SHOT 1 WAS OFF TO THE LEFT OF THE MARK.
YOU HAVE 1 HIT.
OUT OF 2 SHOTS.
FOR 2 SKEETS.

YOU ARE AT THE RIFLE RANGE.
YOU WILL BE SHOOTING AT A CARD BOARD TARGET
AND WILL BE SHOOTING 10 ROUNDS TRYING TO HIT THE BULLS EYE.
HIT ANY KEY TO GO.
1 RING TO THE LEFT.
2 RINGS TO THE RIGHT.
1 RING TO THE LEFT.
YOUR SHOT 1 WAS 1 RING OFF TO THE LEFT OF THE BULLS EYE.
YOUR SHOT 2 WAS 2 RINGS OFF TO THE RIGHT OF THE BULLS EYE.
YOUR SHOT 3 WAS 1 RING OFF TO THE LEFT OF THE BULLS EYE.
YOUR SCORE IS 24
OUT OF 3 SHOTS.

You may play the game with one to four people.  You can also play
against the highest score in several categories.

SHOOT sells for $30.00