I was using the version of gnome that came with debian 7.2 at the time. Not sure exactly which one that is, but I had a miserable time with it.

From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2014 6:40 AM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Throwaway Tech was Previous TopicofInteractiveFiction

Hi John,

Not Sure what version of Gnome you are talking about but I find Gnome
is quite accessible these days. Gnome 3.12 is just as accessible as
Windows in most respects. So before you make a blanket statement like
"a giant part of Gnome is inaccessible" maybe you should back that up
with version number, when you tested it, etc because things on Linux
are constantly changing and being updated. Plus if there is a
configuration issue to blame it may not be the desktop environment
itself but  your configuration at fault.

Cheers!