Hi tom.

As to shades of doom, I do agree with you that the game is something of a disappointment, sinse I was personally expecting something as much in advance of shades version 1 as Toc 2.0 is of Toc version one. At the least new levels and enemies, perhaps mouse control, perhaps a map creator, not essentially the same game with changed sounds.

I don't however think you can draw any conclusions from Shades about the over all state of audiogames. Shades is just one game after all, and what's more a game from a developer who has in the past done a lot to advance what can be done in audio.

With respect to park boss and pizza delivery, my point wassort of the same as with Paladin of the skies and some of the Ticonblu titles. it's not always whether an audio game is an entirely new concept such as Swamp or Entombed, so much as whether an audiogame tries something that has not been done before.

Take Judgement day. yes, it's a fairly standard arcade space invaders clone, but at the time it was interesting for it's uses of achievements, badges, extra cut scenes etc. By the same tocan, Sound Rts didn't include anything that different in audio terms. Sound scanning, tabbing between locations, coordinates, tracking messages in real time, indeed I remember back in around 2006 proposing something similar could be done just based on playing Galaxy Ranger from Vipgameszone. It's however the fact that Sound rts put all these together, and added map creation and online play that is the interesting point.

As I said, by the same tocan I support someone like Ticonblu, not because what they do is always revolutionary, but because they're trying new things out, which is always what we should incourage, indeed this is probably why shades of doom version 2 now seems so lacking, sinse it doesn't give anything new, either in terms of mechanics, design or systems, or more basically just in terms of new content to explore.

Beware the grue!