I'm only the most basic kind of hobbyist programmer right now. I have
the logic, but I don't fully understand the creation tools. However, I
have started and stopped enough projects to understand what Tom is
saying about motivation. Jeremy/Aprone faced the same difficulty with
Swamp.
However, I also understand something else. A team keeps people
motivated by offering support, encouragement, and the occasional kick
in the butt. A team of people is generally listed in the credits for
every indie game out there and every mainstream game.
Our developers seem to occasionally work on teams, but the majority,
the ones as part of this topic, the vast majority, work alone. alone,
there is just that one person doing everything. Not only is the
project their baby alone, their precious work, it is their
responsibility if they lose motivation. If they get  burnt out, then a
lot of people get disappointed.
The fact of the matter is that there's a long history of piracy in our
community to overcome. There are three choices: make a game with
stringent product protection, something that requires a by-Skype or
by-phone activation, keep going with medium protection and hope people
will not pirate it too much, or go with low product protection but
make the kind of smash-hit game that makes people want to pay, the
kind of game that people can really get righteous about.
I think options 1 and 3 are good. However option 3 has the advantage
of guaranteeing us something fantastic. No matter the option, anything
done works better with a team.
Yes, a team means conflict, disagreement, but it also means something
truly memorable. It means that we can have something truly amazing.

Signed:
Dakotah Rickard