Hi Shaun,
Ouch... I wouldn't have done that. If you want to program easily for the
Windows platform .NET is hands down the easiest way to do it. Combine
that with DirectX, and you have, games like, well,  STFC, Railracer,
Montezuma's Revenge, and so on. The .NET Framework has proven itself
quite effective for audio games.
I wouldn't worry so much about the IDE. There are sometimes annoyences
like error Windows popping up blowing the focus on the screen reader,
but it doesn't happen all the time. It's just something you get use to
after a while. If you hate the IDE notepad makes a quick and easy
alternative. I use notepad often and paste my code in to the IDE.
However, not everyone is a programmer, and for this Audio Games Maker
will be the go between. No complex programming, and a ready to create
game tool.